Wednesday 4 November 2015

If you do one thing this month: Go see Suffragette




Suffragette hit cinemas this October and being a feminist and a history undergrad I could not wait to see it! Despite missing 10 minutes at the beginning due to a mix up with the listings my housemates and I got sucked into the film very quickly and I'm pretty sure there was not a dry eye in the room during some scenes. If you don't already know Suffragette is a film about the campaign for the woman's rights to vote in Britain during the early twentieth century, specifically the militant fringe of the movement. I wont go into too much detail because 1) I'm no film reviewer and 2) I don't want to spoil the film. 




However because this film is based on the true story of the Suffrage movement it cannot really be 'spoilt' as such, especially if you have any pre-knowledge of the period. I was literally sat with my hands over my eyes half the time in horror saying "I know what's going to happen next oh no!". The film certainly taps into not only key female emotions but also key human ones. Although the film is set nearly 100 years ago the issues dealt with are still, I feel, relevant to society today - and as the filmmakers remind you at the end of the film the story of the key issue, women's suffrage, is not yet over. 

It is certainly a film that everyone should see however I feel with not many people will, and especially not those who need to see it. It will make you cry, feel sick, celebrate and cry some more all the while being beautifully put together! 


To quickly conclude: go see this film and make everyone you know see this film.

Follow Retro and Thrift on BloglovinLike Retro and Thrift on FacebookFollow Retro and Thrift on TwitterFollow Retro and Thrift on InstagramEmail Retro and Thrift

No comments:

Post a Comment

All your questions, comments and feedback are greatly appreciated, thank you. If you have any further questions please email me at courtneyfarrowblog@outlook.com or tweet me at @yentruocfarrow because I will get back to you sooner



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...